New Master of Health Physics Program

As some of you may know, I am no longer teaching in the Health Physics program at IIT that I have co-directed for the past four years.  I am working with Northwestern University http://www.northwestern.edu/ to establish a similar program.  I hope that we will have a full course offering for fall 2003.

The proposed program at Northwestern will depend upon existing and new Health Physics courses, and the existing Environmental Engineering courses at Northwestern  http://www.civil.northwestern.edu/ehe/ and other disciplines.  Other than the core health physics courses, no new courses need to be created for a Master of Health Physics degree.  The program will be tailored to meet the needs of the working Health Physicist and preparation for certification will be a program goal.  Some transfer credit may be available.

All courses will be contemporary and taught in the year in which the course is offered by a recognized leader in the subject.  This contemporary live approach will make the courses fresh and responsive to current events and will provide the students with an expert with whom they will be able to discuss each subject.  This program will continue Northwestern's long standing tradition in health physics.

I have been asked a number of questions by the Dean of the McCormick School of Engineering and I am turning to the Radsafe community for help with some of them.  They are:

Are you aware of Northwestern's academic reputation and will it be important to you or your employer?

Would a real time on demand Internet program at Northwestern be attractive to working professionals?

Is an Internet course based upon live lectures rather than pre-recorded Internet or videotape courses important?

Would you or your employer be willing to pay about $3,000 per course to support you in obtaining a Master of Health Physics degree at Northwestern?

Is it important that HP courses be taught by practicing HPs or CHPs?

Northwestern is on the quarter system and requires a minimum of 12 graduate courses for a master's degree.  Considering this and the tuition, what is the optimal number of years (1-3) you would choose in which to earn a Master of Health Physics degree?

If you are interested in a Master of Health Physics degree, what degrees do you now hold?

I would welcome your response to these questions, either by e-mail mailto:port@northwestern.edu, or by calling me at 847-965-1999.

Thanks.

Eli

Eli A. Port