Weighting Factor for Hot Particle Skin Doses

Jan. 24, 2003

Dear Radsafers:

Many thanks to those who have contributed to this discussion.  In reading

the answers, I realized that I have another question.

According to the Statements of Consideration for Part 20, "External doses

to the head, trunk (including male gonads), arms above the elbow, or legs

above the knee are to be treated as whole-body doses.  For the purpose of

weighting the external whole-body dose (for adding it to the internal

dose), a single weighting factor, wsubT = 1.0, has been specified."

As the permissible limit for whole body radiation absorbed dose is 5 rem, I

assumed that if the skin of the head was irradiated, the 5 rem limit would

apply, not the 50 rem limit.  Or, is it 50 rem shallow dose and 5 rem deep

dose? Or something else?

Ciao, Carol

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.

<csmarcus@ucla.edu>