Re: Weighting Factor for Hot Particle Skin Doses (terminology correction)

In my haste, I mixed up the units. This is the correct definitions:

Deep dose equivalent (Hd), which applies to the external whole-body

exposure, is the dose equivalent at a tissue depth of 1 centimeter

(1000 mg/cm2).

Shallow dose equivalent (HS) applies to the external exposure of the

skin or an extremity and is taken as the dose equivalent at a tissue

depth of 0.007 centimeter (7 mg/cm2) averaged over an area 1 square

centimeter.

§ 20.1201 Occupational dose limits for adults.

(c) The assigned deep-dose equivalent and shallow dose-equivalent

must be for the part of the body receiving the highest exposure. The

deep-dose equivalent, eye dose equivalent and shallow-dose equivalent

may be assessed from surveys or other radiation measurements for the

purpose of demonstrating compliance with the occupational dose

limits, if the individual monitoring device was not in the region of

highest potential exposure, or the results of individual monitoring

are unavailable.

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/