RE: Job Posting

Bill,

	I don't believe that HPS CAN solve the problem.  Back in the early

80's, right after getting out of Uncle Sam's canoe club I was working as a

Sr. HP Tech.  In between outages, and still loyal to one company I had a few

months off.

	While staying in Austin with in-laws I took a temp job as a janitor

at a major semiconductor chip manufacturer in that town.  Told to go in and

clean the room they performed radiography in I assured them that after

receiving training and a TLD or film badge I would be more than happy to do

so.  I got a strange look, and was told all you needed to do was pick up one

of the TLDs off the rack outside the room and use it until your own came in.

	I then confessed my profession and that I could not and would not

willingly violate state or federal laws.  They found some one else to clean

the room after a long hunt, since most of the cleaning crew was in the

immediate vicinity.  A couple of weeks later, a position for an assistant

RSO opened up and I interviewed for the position with the RSO.  Was told

thanks, but no thanks, "you know too much for this position, we will fill it

with someone from the line."  So companies are still going to go with the

lowest and least amount of regulatory guidance they can get away with until

one day this catches up to them.  At that point, the good HP (CHP or not)

will get the respect and money they deserve, and the not so good HP will be

looking for low paying jobs.  My slant anyway.

	BTW I plan on having the degree to take the exam shortly.  Unless

things about the examination have changed drastically, I look forward to

having the CHP and 30 years experience behind my name in the next couple of

years.

Chris A. Marthaller, RRPT

Sr. Training Coordinator, WIPP

(505) 234-8661

Chris.Marthaller@wipp.ws

I alone am to blame for my statements.

"If we keep doing what we are doing, we will keep getting what we are

getting." ANON

I'd like to reiterate that the problem should be solved by HPS, which

allegedly represents our professional interests.  There should be

established standards for hp positions, eg, RSO's at different types of

facilities, assistant RSO's, radiological engineers, technicians, etc.

These standards should be enforced by the regulators.