AW: Job Posting

 -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: 	owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]  Im Auftrag von William V Lipton

Gesendet:	Montag, 03. Februar 2003 20:29

An:	Marthaller, Chris

Cc:	radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Betreff:	Re: Job Posting

Many thanx for your response.  Maybe you're right, but we have to try.  What

HPS

can do is to communicate the need for professional standards to our

regulators

and legislators.

The example of physicians is overused, so I'll try another one.  Consider

teachers.  With the exception of some temporary exemptions to meet critical

needs, teachers must have a state certificate.  I grew up in NJ, and heard

the

example that Albert Einstein would NOT have been qualified to teach physics

in a

NJ high school.

------------------

Having been a teacher for eight years a long time ago until I got bored with

it, I believe that this would have been the right decision. I cannot believe

that a genius like Albert Einstein would have been able to teach physics in

such a way, that the young pupils would have been able to understand the

laws of gravity, the reflection of light or other simple physical facts. I

knew great organic chemists, who were not able to fry an egg (no joke!).

There are different requirements for a teacher and a university professor,

for an organic chemist and household activities. This might also be the case

regarding different "degrees" of health physics professionals. I had a

technician, who was much more skilfull in radiochemical analysis than I was,

but he would not have been able to organize intercomparisons, to carry out a

research programme, to negotiate for support etc. There is nothing wrong

with this - he did his job and I did mine.

Best regards,

Franz