Citation missing on Science paper

Group:

The authors of a response to critics' letters in the 10Jan03 issue of

SCIENCE made a citation error.  Since that SCIENCE Policy Forum on "Nuclear

Power Plants and their Fuel as Terrorist Targets" is a basic reference, it

was suggested by a RadSafe member that I inform the members of this list of

the error.

It appears in the letters section of Science in the response by the 19

authors.  The error involves reference (4) in the response.  That footnote

in the text should be moved back one sentence, since that is where it

properly applies.  A new footnote is needed for the spot just vacated, which

should refer to NUREG-1738, "Technical Study of Spent Fuel Pool Accident

Risk at Decommissioning Nuclear Power Plants."  I have notified the other

authors and will be requesting an errata in SCIENCE.

That report is downloadable from the NRC Adam site, but it is 369 pages and

is in the form of a tif file, which is very clumsy to work with.  I had to

convert it to a pdf file.  This is the report on which the NYJournalNews

10Nov02 story was based, headlined "NRC study warns of 500-mile radiation

spread."  I believe that report was discussed on this link.

Ted Rockwell