AW: Alternatives to lead blankets

 -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: 	owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]  Im Auftrag von Dave Biela

Gesendet:	Mittwoch, 05. Februar 2003 20:41

An:	radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Cc:	Tom Kocialski

Betreff:	Alternatives to lead blankets

I have been asked to gather data on non-hazardous alternatives to lead

blankets for gamma shielding.  Any input will be appreciated.

Dave,

 I have some problems with your request. Your posting would imply, that lead

blankets are hazardous. ?????? Very basic radiation protection knowledge

would show you, that the shielding efficiency depends on the Z of the

shielding material. Better than lead would of course be uranium, depleted

uranium available at very low cost. According to the last few years news on

gulf war syndrome etc. this seems to be a "very dangerous and hazardous

material". (Sometimes I am cynical...) Maybe you want to use bismuth?

Yes, lead blankets are hazardous if they fall on the feet from great

heights.

Could you please inform us on your profession and what is the reason to ask

such a question on RADSAFE?

Franz