Re: AW: Alternatives to lead blankets

Franz Schoenhofer wrote:

> [...]

Let me add another caution with lead blankets:  When removing them, do

not the laborors pile them up in one place on the grating as happened to

me one time.  We did not have the accident we could have if the grating

had given away.  The caution applies to all sheilding removal.  Water is

often an easy shield to place and remove.  I once borrowed a number of

barrels, lined them up and filled them with water, finished my task that

was threatened to be shut down because of the radiation in the adjacent

area, then drained them into the floor drain and returned them as new.

 I have also used barrels filled with sand to do temporary shielding.

 This was especially useful in an area used for storing hot drums

because we had all the barrel handling equipment available.

John Andrews

Knoxville, Tennessee

John Andrews