AW: AW: Alternatives to lead blankets

 -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: 	owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]  Im Auftrag von William V Lipton

Gesendet:	Donnerstag, 06. Februar 2003 13:22

An:	John Andrews

Cc:	radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Betreff:	Re: AW: Alternatives to lead blankets

Water shields are available, and represent a good alternative to Pb.  One

problem

is that, if installed vertically, they tend to sag.  This can sometimes be

ameliorated by pressurizing them with compressed air.

One caution, especially at a nuclear power plant:  We were removing some

water

shields in our restricted area and planned to drain them to a floor drain.

In

accordance with plant procedures, we had the water tested before draining,

and

found high TOC (total organic carbon), which prevented us from draining to a

floor drain, since this goes to the plant radwaste system.  It seems that

the

shields come with talc inside, to prevent sticking.  It may be helpful to

flush

them out before bringing the shields into a restricted area.

Talc is an inorganic silicate compound. Therefore it cannot be the origin of

TOC.

Best regards,

Franz