Re: Sec. Ridge accurately addresses the impact of a "dirty bomb"

Dear colleagues,

Someone once said that everyone is afraid of radiation except for experts -

If this is

true, it is easily explained. In general, any unknown things are scary. As

soon as they

become familiar, any unjustified fear diminishes and justified fear

persists. The

experts know what to be afraid and what is harmless. Radiation matters are

not more difficult than any other Scientific Matters: unfamiliar words can

be explained and phenomena can be compared to everyday events. Clearly we

can talk about computers without peculiar  abbreviations and about illnesses

without medical latin.  And this bring to the following important lesson to

be learned to those that intend to communicate about radiation risk:

"Communication on nuclear issues may appear to be a simple and direct

subject, however, it will often arise to be an issue of psychosocial and

political complexity:

Limitation in the science of risk assessment and risk management, in media

coverage, in public perception induce serious obstacles for communication"

(Vincent T. Covello - Informing people about radiation risks: A review of

obstacles to public understanding and effective risk communication, 1988)

The conclusion is: you cannot expect the man of the street to learn the

language of the experts, therefore, experts have to learn to express

themselves in normal, everyday language.

My I offer to those interested the paper - Adjusting Ability and Sensibility

for an Accident  -

that I presented at the International Conference Goiania 10 years Later,

Goiania, 26-31 October 1997, published in the IAEA proceedings

Those interested please send me an e-mail

Jose Julio Rozental

joseroze@netvision.net.il

Israel