Re: Sec. Ridge accurately addresses the impact of a "dirty bomb"

> The experts know what to be afraid and what is harmless.

Sure, I agree. I am sometimes a bit hesitant when I see the signs outside of

a laboratory warning of biohazards, as I am not familiar with what

appropriate levels of concern are in all situations. I am very respectful of

electrical panels, and permit the experts to tinker around in here. In a

radiation lab I am completely at ease, as I know what is not hazardous, and

what are minor hazards or major hazards, and how to respond to each. Others

sometimes see me carrying around check sources and are not sure whether to

be concerned or not, but they eventually respond to my level of concern when

they are convinced that I understand the situation. When I am with an expert

in any of the situations above, I similarly respond to her expertise and

guage my behavior accordingly. The problem we are struggling with is that

the public is guaging many of its responses from some who have gotten their

attention with false propaganda, and not from valid experts.

> The conclusion is: you cannot expect the man of the street to learn the

> language of the experts, therefore, experts have to learn to express

> themselves in normal, everyday language.

Yes, and this was the focus of those years of articles in the HP newsletter

about effective communication skills, and how different personality types

are better at communicating with the public than others. Most HPs (myself

included) are of the INTJ type, who may quite good in the back room with our

graphs, charts, and computers, but who generally come across as techy and

aloof in public meetings. Choice of the right spokesperson, backed up by

solid technical data, and involvement of the public in the decision-making

process, are all needed to have an effective communication process which can

counter the fearmongering of irresponsible activists.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068