Re: Nova - Dirty Bombs - London Scenario question

Hi all:

I listened to the NOVA "special" last night and found it remarkable how

sensationalistic it was. It seemed their intent was to maximize public panic if

and when anyone sets off a bomb involving any amount of radioactivity, no matter

how trivial. For example, a stick of dynamite in a bucket of woodash obtained

from Northern Florida would disperse 300,000 picoCuries of Cs-137 [10 kg of ash

at 30,000 pCi/kg] or a total of about 11,000 Bq of Cs-137. If this were done,

would the authorities want to tear down London or New York because some of it is

contaminated to "above background" levels? I'm not being facetious. Thousands of

tons of radioactive woodash [with greatly elevated Cs-137 levels of on the order

of 20,000 pCi/kg ash] from wood burning power plants in New England are being

mixed with manure today and spread on organic farming coop fields with no

concern. Laughable actually as to the disconnect between organic gardening use of

Cs-137 laden woodash and the hysteria about a dirty bomb's impact on a wide area.

The scenario NOVA dramatized last night involved a whole lot more Cs-137, or a

source with 74,000 GBq of Cs-137 [2000 Ci] as I recall them mentioning. For a

point source of Cs-137 this equates to about 6.6E6 R/hr at 1 cm. If the

terrorists spent 1 hour at say 2 feet from this unshielded source [??? a wag

assumption] in fabricating the bomb and transporting it they would receive about

7,000 R whole body.

Does anyone on the list have any feel for how quickly a person would be

incapacitated by receiving 7,000 to 10,000 R whole body?

The exposure to the hands and fingers of these terrorists fabricating such a bomb

would have been much higher --perhaps 500,000 R for 10 minutes of handling in

fabrication. Would these terrorists even have been able to drive a few hours

after handling a 2,000 Ci Cs-137 source for the time it would take to fabricate a

bomb and transport it to the point of use??

Stewart Farber, MSPH