Re: Nova - Dirty Bombs - London Scenario question

Hi:

ERRATA to my earlier post on the above:

Need to correct the second sentence [copied below] from my post on the above

subject. In tossing my notes on the rough calculation, noticed that it should

read:

"If the terrorists spent 1 hour at say 1 foot from this unshielded source [??? a

wag assumption] in fabricating the bomb and transporting it they would receive

about 7,000 R whole body."

Sorry for the error in making a quick post. At 2 feet the approximate dose would

be 4 times lower or about 1,750 R whole body.

How long it would take [and at what average distance from the source] for someone

to fabricate a dirty bomb, move it from the point of fabrication to a vehicle,

and deliver it is anyone's guess. I thankfully have no experience making bombs or

removing 2000 Ci Cs-137 sources from their shields and handling them. There are

endless possibilities on how it might be done. With some planning, some handling

tools, and some shielding,   the dose could be reduced sharply from what one

would calculate for am assumed total of 1 hour at 1 foot unshielded.

Stewart Farber