Re: Nova - Dirty Bombs - London Scenario question

Stewart's comment:

The scenario NOVA dramatized last night involved a whole lot more Cs-137, or

a  source with 74,000 GBq of Cs-137 [2000 Ci] as I recall them mentioning.

For a point source of Cs-137 this equates to about 6.6E6 R/hr at 1 cm. If

the terrorists spent 1 hour at say 2 feet from this unshielded source [??? a

wag  assumption] in fabricating the bomb and transporting it they would

receive about 7,000 R whole body.

comment:

a) However suppose  terrorists  instead 2 feet he keeps the source in a Van,

1.5 m away - the dose drop to about 300 R/h

b) Terrorist  do not care for his life, today countries as Israel and USA

are forced to witness the hair's breadth of difference between the ability

to prevent a terrorist attack and the ability of the terrorists to blow

himself up and to be succeeded in his mission.

Jose Julio Rozental

joseroze@netvision.net.il

Israel

.

The scenario NOVA dramatized last night involved a whole lot more Cs-137, or

source with 74,000 GBq of Cs-137 [2000 Ci] as I recall them mentioning. For

point source of Cs-137 this equates to about 6.6E6 R/hr at 1 cm. If the

terrorists spent 1 hour at say 2 feet from this unshielded source [??? a wag

assumption] in fabricating the bomb and transporting it they would receive

about

7,000 R whole body.

Does anyone on the list have any feel for how quickly a person would be

incapacitated by receiving 7,000 to 10,000 R whole body?

The exposure to the hands and fingers of these terrorists fabricating such a

bomb

would have been much higher --perhaps 500,000 R for 10 minutes of handling

in

fabrication. Would these terrorists even have been able to drive a few hours

after handling a 2,000 Ci Cs-137 source for the time it would take to

fabricate a

bomb and transport it to the point of use??

Stewart Farber, MSPH

2/26/03 8:08:14 AM, High Plains Drifter <magna1@jps.net> wrote:

>  I watched the NOVA "Dirty Bomb" program Tuesday night and came away with

the

>  following thoughts:

>   *Technical details about post bomb explosion risks were fragmented and

>    interspersed with statistical mumbo jumbo that left one with the

feeling