RE: Dirty bombs - radionuclide mobility

I started this before Jim Dukelow's reply posted earlier today, but I

still think it adds something to the body of knowledge on the subject.

As I recall, the sorption of cesium depends somewhat on the soil type;

however, it is almost always tightly bound.  As an example, Cs deposited

on surface soil test plots at Hanford (100F Area) showed virtually no

movement over 40 years, while Sr was observed to move (downward) at ~1

cm/year.  Most of the Pu compounds in the Hanford processes also bound

very tightly to soil, making their recovery and cleanup a very difficult

problem - even microwave-assisted acid digestion was essentially

ineffective. Significant portions of the careers of several very

distinguished chemists were spent trying to find methods to recover Pu

that was chemically bound in soil.

As for Cs mobility in concrete, after ~25 years exposure in the K-East

fuel basin, an unpainted concrete structure having typical Cs-137

concentrations of 3-5 uCi/L, the contaminants migrated between 3-5 cm

below the surface.  That was conformed by a combination of MCNP analyses

and confirmatory core samples.  The mobility of the Cs in concrete

certainly depends on the porosity, surface roughness (all concrete is

not created equally), pH and a whole bunch of other variables.  It's

been nearly 10 years since I worked on that project, but that's the data

as best I recall.   The analogy to NaCl deposition for ice removal is

probably not an appropriate comparison

Any Cs that ends up in a sewage treatment system would almost certainly

be bound in sludge.

George J. Vargo, Ph.D., CHP

vargo@physicist.net

610-925-1954