RE: Letter to Congressman McDermott by Leuren Moret

I can't believe these people think that DU rounds burn. They are Armour Piecing rounds and rely on having a dense, penetrating rod of DU to punch through the armor. None of this burning at 170 degrees C when the design purpose requires the rod to remain intact. Especially when U has a melting point of 1132 degrees C and boiling point of 3818 degrees C (CRC Handbook 58th edition).

That's not to mention the radioactivity aspects
-----Original Message-----
From: BobCherry@AOL.COM [mailto:BobCherry@AOL.COM]
Sent: Friday, 7 March 2003 10:13 AM
To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Letter to Congressman McDermott by Leuren Moret

There they go again:

http://www.mindfully.org/Nucs/2003/Leuren-Moret-Gen-Groves21feb03.htm

Looking at reference 2 in the letter, I learned that the Olean Times-Herald published my letter to the editor of a month ago and that the letter attracted activists' attention.

For the record, I am not a spokesperson for the DOD and never have been. I am a retired Army colonel who wrote that letter as a private citizen concerned about an inaccurate editorial. I am sending a copy of this note to Congressman McDermott lest he get the wrong impression of me.

I may have found a new hobby!

Bob Cherry, Ph.D., CHP
Colonel, U.S. Army (retired)

PS Here is what I wrote to Rep. McDermott:
==============================
Dear Mr. McDermott:

I learned of a letter that an activist sent you that appears on the following website:

http://www.mindfully.org/Nucs/2003/Leuren-Moret-Gen-Groves21feb03.htm

The author referenced a letter that I wrote to a newspaper editor and said that my letter represented a DOD position. That is not true.

I am not a spokesperson for the DOD and never have been. I am a retired Army colonel and wrote my letter as a private citizen concerned about an inaccurate editorial having to do with an activist's (Doug Rokke) misrepresentations of himself and of depleted uranium.

By the way, the letter on the website is full of baloney, too.

Sincerely,

Robert N. Cherry, Jr., Ph.D., CHP
Colonel, U.S. Army (retired)

This e-mail is intended for the addressee(s) named and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it immediately and notify the sender. Any views expressed in this email are those of the individual sender except where the sender expressly and with authority states them to be the views of the Environment Protection Authority.