Re: EPA to look at how toxins affect kids, "Educating the Public"

Franz,

    Your "rant" on the futility of public education regarding radiation is

right on target. I was struck by a recent note on radsafe regarding the

apparent public acceptance of botox (therapeutic use of low-dose botulism

toxin) as an apparent cure for everything from pimples to cancer, while

going to great extremes to avoid exposure to radiation at any dose . Perhaps

if botulinus toxin had been used at Hiroshima, attitudes might be different.

Clearly, simply presenting fact and logic , in itself,  does not seem to

work. When it comes to public "education", an ounce of fear and passion is

worth a ton of fact and logic. Including the potentially harmful effects to

innocent children also works pretty well.

    Unfortunately, that is the kind of stuff the antis are really good at

and we are not.

> The Tooth Fairy Project is not junk-science, it is only junk. When

thinking

> of which "scientists" are involved I recognize only the creme de la creme

of

> junk (science) in radiation effects, who simply cannot stop their unbased

> and unfounded agitation they are doing since decades, because otherwise

they

> would loose fundings. Reading the only report I ever was able to find, I

was

> close to vomiting, because the graphs shown compared with the

"conclusions"

> are violating any principles of scientific interpretation and only follow

> the principle "Do not disturb me with facts, I have made up my mind".

> Enough with this rant, but still the conclusion: Some persons on RADSAFE

> always claim, that we "simply" have to educate the public. Norm is the

best

> example, that you can try as hard as you want, but he starts to repeat

over

> and over again the same nonsense, pretending, but in fact not interested

in,

> that he wants to learn from our educational efforts. The same is true for

> the public - educate the public for three years and they will believe

after

> three years any nonsense, which mass media distribute and which is

contrary