FW: Re: AAP Statement on Radiation Disasters and Children

Could not resist. This is also in reply to Shane Connor.

Daily intake of free iodine = 0.0001 gm.

Total body content = 0.01 gm.

Uptake of radioactive iodine can be suppressed by any stable iodine

source which can flood the bodies iodine pool. As documented by their

interference with diagnostic uptake studies, agents capable of

blocking the thyroid uptake of radioactive iodine include:

Lugol's solution

SSKI(saturated solution of potassium iodide)

Tincture of Iodine USP(Always in Ethanol)

Strong Iodine Tincture NF(Always in Ethanol)

Iodine solution

Strong Iodine solution

Kelp

Various mineral supplements

Some cough medicines

Various iodinated skin ointments(Stainless Iodized Ointment NF)

Radiographic contrast media

Thyroid Hormones

Non iodine Containing Drugs such as: Anithyroid drugs, sodium or

potassium perchlorate, penicillin, etc.

Goitrogenic Foods such as cabbage and turnips

I also was a Boy Scout and routinely purified water with tincture of

iodine (2 to 4 drops in a quart of water){sorry I can not express

this in SI units}. I never ended up in a emergency room due to the

oral use of Tincture of Iodine. The use of SSKI and Lugol's solution

to block thyroid uptake in patients undergoing I-131 Hippuran, I-131

MIBG, I-125 HSA, or other studies with I-131 labeled

radiopharmaceuticals has been routine for decades.

Mr. Connor, spreading fear as a way of selling your product is

understandable but deplorable. (Even though it worked with Postal

Workers)  Iodine is iodine regardless of the source.  The iodine in

potassium iodide tablets is not better than that in SSKI or any other

source of iodine.

The iodine in potassium iodide tablets is also just as poisonous as

iodine from any other source.  According to Mr. Connors' statement 30

to 250 ml of tincture of iodine could be fatal.  That equals 12 to

100 potassium iodide tablets which are sold in bottles of 200.

If as Mr. Connor states potassium iodide is the only source of iodine

that will block uptake of radioactive iodine, why does his company

sell potassium iodate?

Anyway, since drops are a little arbitrary, 0.13 ml of SSKI solution

or 2.5ml Iodine Tincture U.S.P. is equal to 2 tablets of 65 mg.

Potassium iodide.

Thank you for your attention

John Kuperus, Ph.D., R.Ph., N.Ph., BCNP, FASHSP, HSG

(My plug.  Please check out www.iodowash.com )