RE: AAP Statement on Radiation Disasters and Children

A Grosso wrote:

-----Original Message-----

From: A. Grosso [mailto:grosso@u.washington.edu]

Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 9:57 AM

To: Potter, Gus

Cc: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: Re: AAP Statement on Radiation Disasters and Children

I have a question about KI use for terrorist inicidents.  I was at at

"Emergency Response Meeting" & someone stated that tincture of Iodine (3

drops) in a

glass of water or Betadine applied to the skin could be a good substitute

for the KI tablets.  I have never heard of this as a way to block the

thyorid & would like to know if anyone else has experience or information

on this issue.

Alex

Alex J. Grosso, Jr.

Health Physicist

grosso@u.washington.edu

206-616-5564

=================

Alex,

Not only is this a way to block the thyroid, but I feel it is preferable to the use of KI tablets for several reasons.

I append a couple of exchanges of email messages on this topic over the last six or so years.  They refer to painting iodine-containing antiseptics on the skin, but I see no reason why tincture of iodine in water would not work.  When I was a Boy Scout many years ago, we used iodine tablets to purify water, so safety is not likely to be an issue -- confusion about dosage might be.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

Richland, WA

jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.