FW: Re: AAP Statement on Radiation Disasters and Children

While tincture of iodine is certainly not the recommended first line drug of choice for thyroid prophylaxis, approximately 1.1 million doses of tincture of iodine solution were used in Poland by panicked residents after the Chornobyl accident. ( Nauman and Wolff, Iodide Prophylaxis in Poland after the Chernobyl Reactor Accident: Benefits and Risks, National Institutes of Health, 1992) There were no fatalities, but many upset stomachs.    Dr. Wolff, in another article, also notes : "Finally, in Japan and the US, where the dietary intake of iodine is relatively high, the resulting less active thyroid glands will enjoy some additional fallout protection.  A number of European countries may wish to avail themselves of this 2-3 fold advantage by salt iodinization, which also has numerous other benefits." (Dr. Wolff, NIH, 1996)

Patricia A. Milligan, CHP, RPh

US NRC

301-415-2223

these are my opinions only.

>>> Shane Connor <webmaster@ki4u.com> 04/09/03 09:05PM >>>

Dr. John Kuperus recent comments show he missed my main point that

ingesting 'enough' iodine to attempt to achieve thyroid-blocking,

specifically via water purification tablets, or 'tincture of iodine', or

Povidone-iodine solutions, is not safe.

I stand by my statement that the public should be warned away from it, and

not encouraged to attempt it.

When he attributes my motives to less than honorable when I'm pointing that

fact out, he has obviously not reviewed our web site where we show all the

viable alternatives to KI tablets. He also said; "Mr. Connor states

potassium iodide is the only source of iodine that will block uptake of

radioactive iodine...". I plainly did not say that in my radsafe posting.

And, on our web site, I eagerly say and show just the opposite.

There we cover Lugol's Solution, SSKI, topical applications, and also

explore the non-alternatives, like Kelp tablets, iodized salt, etc. We tell

and show people how the KI tablets are not their only way to get a

thyroid-blocking dose in an emergency. At www.ki4u.com, since 1999, we've

been telling visitors about all these alternatives; like Ken Miller's

research into topically applied 'tincture of iodine', as well as showing

everybody how to acquire USP grade KI to then mix up their own KI solutions

for a fraction of the cost of anybodies KI tablets. No other seller of KI

tablets does so, we alone do.

I'd invite everybody to become familiar with the safe non-tablet

alternatives, that we have also been pushing the government to embrace for

emergency use, too, that we host at http://www.ki4u.com/Plan_B.htm and that

has always been  linked there prominently atop our main KI4U home page.

Best Regards,

Shane Connor

KI4U, Inc.

www.ki4u.com