RE: Re DU source and Gulf Illness

The reason to consider using reprocessed Uranium as a feed to the enrichment

process is that the U-235 concentration is still higher than natural levels.

Commercial LWRs do not burn the Uranium to levels where the U-235 content

would be less than the natural level.  So the residual Uranium is still

slightly enriched.

Reprocessed Uranium does have higher levels of the other Uranium isotopes

present and their significance depends on what question you are asking.  For

example U-232 is a poison to the reactor and must be accounted for in the

fuel design.  As I remember it, U-236 decay begins to provide a significant

gamma component and can change the HP aspects of the fuel fab plant, at

least if allowed to build up in a fuel cycle that routinely recycled Uranium

from the reprocessing plants.

If the reprocessed Uranium has a U-235 content lower than natural ( i.e. so

it would be called depleted) it would not be sent back to the enrichment

plant.  Nor would there be any incentive to take the extra step to make it

into the UF6 chemical form since we already have so much UF6 tails at the

enrichment plants already.  The normal route to Uranium metal production is

to convert UF6 to U metal.  The only reprocessing plant that would have

resulted in the recycled Uranium coming out directly as UF6 was the Morris,

IL plant and that never went into operation.

As noted by others, the chemical and physical steps to recycle Uranium

obtained from the reprocessing operations will result in the chemical

separation of most of the fission product and actinide contaminants.

However some do carry over, most notably the Tc-99.  As an example of a

concentrating mechanism,  when you sublime the UF6 out of a

transport/storage container the remaining heel in the container tends to

contain the Tc-99 and other fission products.  That is one step where you

can get a concentrating mechanism for the contaminates.  My experience is

that if you want to know where the Tc-99 went you follow what happened to

the heels.

While the DU metal can contain trace quantities of the contaminates, I see

no realistic mechanism where it would have higher concentrations than we

have experience in the U fab plants.  And as noted these levels do not

significantly increase the overall radiation levels.

A. Joseph Nardi, Supervisory Engineer

Westinghouse Electric Company

P. O. Box 355

Pittsburgh, PA 15230