Cohen's Reward

Wes,

In your statement below you say, "He (Puskin)then implies that, for some

reason, radon is higher in counties where smoking is lower.

You (Wes)go on to state - He (Puskin) offers no data demonstrating why this

would be so.

Puskin does not have to offer this data since it is clearly what Dr. Cohen's

data indicates -

We previously showed (Smith et al. 1998 - Health Physics Journal) that when

Cohen's adjusted smoking percentages for males and females were regressed on

radon levels, significant (p < 0.00001) negative associations between Cohen's

average county smoking estimates and and county mean radon concentrations were

noted for both males and females. In addition, when we (Smith et al. 1998

Health Physics Journal) repeated the regression of lung cancer mortality rates

on Cohen's adjusted smoking percentages, the resulting R2 values indicated

that Cohen's smoking summary data explained very little (23.7% for females;

34.5% for males) of the variation in lung cancer mortality rates. It is not

surprising Cohen cannot control for these risk factors using aggregate data.

Regarding your (Wes) statement, "I can think of no reason why radon would be

robustly and consistently higher in counties where smoking is lower. To me,

this is an implausible association."

As I pointed out to Jerry, smoking is strongly associated with socioeconomic

status.  There are numerous reasons socioeconomic status can affect radon

levels (home size - cubic feet), weather proofing, AC usage, etc.

Regarding your (Wes) statement, "Bill Field's implication that Dr. Puskin has

explained Dr. Cohen's discrepancy and deserves the award is premature."

Carl Miller stated that Dr. Cohen deserves the reward.  However, as Carl

pointed out - if you read the offer from Dr. Cohen that Carl posted -

(Dr. Cohen stated, "Now I have even dropped my option for proving that it is

not correct -- if the suggested explanation gets ACCEPTED FOR PUBLICATION (you

don't say where), the reward is paid whether or not I can prove that it is

incorrect.")

This offer has two reqirements -

1) That it "provides a suggested explanantion" - Puskin's article did that.

2) That is gets "accepted for publication" - Puskin also satisfied that

requirement.

I therefore do agree with Carl Miller that the article did indeed meet the

requirements of the reward as stated in the archives:

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/0201/msg00422.html

Nonetheless, my point in the previous email was that since he was a federal

employee he likely could not accept a reward anyway, but that the money could

be donated to the American Cancer Society in his name.

Regards, Bill

epirad@mchsi.com

Wes states, >