Re: Award offer

Ruth,

You provided a self reported case report (n = 1).

Rates of smoking initiation are inversely related to SES

Rates of cessation are positively related to SES

Among smokers, the number of cigarettes smoked is inversely related to SES

Lower education is also inversely associated with smoking

For example, see:

"Socioeconomic Status and Health: The Challenge of the Gradient." Adler, Nancy

E., Thomas Boyce, Margaret A. Chesney, Sheldon Cohen, Susan Folkman, Robert L.

Kahn and S. Leonard Syme, 1994. American Psychologist, 49:15-24.1

Harrell, Joanne S. et al. "Smoking Initiation in Youth: The Roles of Gender,

Race, Socioeconomics, and Developmental Status." Journal of Adolescent Health.

1998; 23(5): 271-279.

etc.

It is of interest that in other areas such as China the opposite occurs,

historically individuals with higher socioeconomic status smoke more but that

is changing.

I have already provided reasons why there may be an inverse association

between Dr. Cohen's average county smoking rates(and socioeconomic status) and

average county radon concentrations.

The location of housing was your implication.

Regards, Bill

bill-field@iowa.edu