Re: Award offer

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Jerry Cohen wrote:

>     To me, your assessment of Puskin's paper seems too kind. Puskin's "analysis

" appears to be little more than a slick attempt to obfuscate its fundamental

 lack of logic.

>     When you cut through all the crap, to buy his conclusions you have to

 accept the notion that  radon levels somehow affect smoking habits.

 I have a bridge I'd like to sell to anyone who finds that  plausible.     Jerry

	--There could be a correlation between radon levels and smoking

prevalence by chance, or due to confounding factors, even if one does not

cause the other. However, in my response I show that even a perfect

correlation does not resolve the issue that Puskin raises. This applies

rregardless of what one assumes about smoking prevalences.