ACNP/SNM Diagnostic Nuclear Medicine Guideline

May 11, 2003

Dear Radsafers:

I'm curious to know how many licensees are using the ACNP/SNM "Guide for Diagnostic Nuclear Medicine" in lieu of NRC's NUREG 1556 Vol. 9.  The ACNP/SNM Guide is, in my opinion, far more sensible, realistic, and cost effective than NRC's Vol. 9.  NRC has endorsed this alternative guidance---it is basically an "industry standard---and has mentioned it in RIS 2002-23, issued Nov. 27, 2002.  It is also mentioned in the March issue of NRC's "NMSS Licensee Newsletter" (p.7).  By the way, the ACNP/SNM Guide for Therapy Nuclear Medicine is finished and being reviewed at present.

The Guide for Diagnostic Nuclear Medicine can be found by going to:
http://www.nrc.gov/materials/miau/miau-reg-initiatives/guide_2002.pdf

Please respond to me personally, along with any comments you may have concerning this guidance.

Ciao, Carol

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.
<csmarcus@ucla.edu>