RE: NRC PROPOSES $6,000 FINE AGAINST ST. JOSEPH MERCY HOSPITAL IN

It should be noted that people being treated for thyriod cancer with I-131 are not in imminent death.  I am not sure why the daughter had to be in the room with the mother, but the hospital certainty did not meet it license obligations to reduce exposure to those other than the patient.  There were action that they should have taken and did not.  At our facility, we have the same requirements to reduce exposures, and have no problems meeting them.

Brian Keele <bdkeele@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

I couldn’t agree more with Steve Dapra and Jerry Cohen.  It is reprehensible to separate a family member or make them sit behind some kind of a lead glass shield for only a 3-15 rem exposure.  In my humble opinion, the benefit to the family outweighs the risk of cancer (if any).  If it were my family, I would be at the bedside.  Nuclear Medicine patients are not lepers.

As a profession, we should strive for reasonableness in our regulations and for appropriate balance in enforcement.

 . . .

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist