From: John Jacobus [mailto:crispy_bird@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 3:32 PM
To: Auld, Andrew H @SS; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Re: FW: Checked Baggage X-Ray Exposures

Besides x-rays, some of the units used to check baggage use neutron activation to look or organic material that may signify exposives. See http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/FutureTech/futuretech030204.html
NEVER allow camera film to go through with your check luggage.

"Auld, Andrew H @SS" <andrew.auld@ss.l-3com.com> wrote:

Further to this partiuclar subject of inquiry - I require all my field
techs, engineers, etc. to carry their dosimeters on their person, not in
their baggage. Nine times out of ten you'll make it thru the metal gate
with it, or can negotiate it around the x-ray machine. If not, the carry-on
units (for the time being) are much less energetic than the checked baggage
CT scanners, so the accumulated exposure is less.

I also have folks who have to travel with their dosimeters (meaning those
who's occupational exposure is not solely in the work-place) keep a
travel-log and diary of "unusual" circumstances - like their dosimeters went
thru a scanner, they flew to Singapore (remembering that enough time in the
air can class one as a radiation worker - and if you're concerned about
exposure of all types, well, your little DNA strands aren't making decisions
as to just where this or that particular x-ray actually came from, is it?)

- just my $0.02 -
Andrew H. Auld; EH&S Coordinator
L-3 Communications Security & Detection Systems
2005 Gandy Blvd N Suite 600
St. Petersburg FL 33702-2166

(727) 369-4225 Direct
(727) 744-4090 Mobile
www.dsxray.com or www.L-3Com.com

"In God We Trust, Everyone Else We X-ray."