Re: Brazil Nut Radwaste Standard

Jerry & Radsafe:

>From the HPS Ask the Expert, there is information on the radioactivity of Brazil

Nuts. See:

http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q1147.html

>From the above reference:

Total alpha = 14 picoCuries/g  [14 pCi/g]

Ra-226  Ranges from 0.16 to 3.5 pCi/g

There appears to be an inadvertant error in units in the post below which is high

by a factor of several hundred at a minimum.  It appears that Brazil nuts have

been actually measured to have Ra-226 content of up to 3.5 picoCuries/g  [and

total alpha of 14 pCi/g (= 0.014 nCi/g)], not 3 nanoCuries/g [3,000 pCi/g] as

stated below.

Stewart Farber