RE: Brazil Nut Radwaste Standard

Jose,

It is what the new document applies to that is interesting. However, the main issue is will this cause any changes in national legislation to align countries with the IAEA?

1 - Any IAEA document on Radiation Protection is based, to the extend possible, on the ICRP recommendations, as the IAEA BSS 115.

2 - Please take a look in the ICRP 82 - Protection of the Public in situations of Prolonged Radiation Exposure.

3 Concerning IAEA doc on Commodities

A - Radioactivity in Material not requiring Regulation for Purposes of Radiation Protection DRAFT SAFETY GUIDE DS161, April 2002
  • The activity concentrations in this document do not apply to:
  •  foodstuffs, drinking water, animal feed and any material intended for use in food or
  • animal feed. Specific levels for drinking water are contained in [5] and specific levels
  • for foodstuffs (applicable up to one year after an accident) are found in [6];
  • radon, as action levels are provided in the BSS; and
  •  potassium-40 in the body, which is already excluded from the BSS.
B - Derivation of Scope-Defining Values for Commodities, April 2002

4) Collective Dose and Risk Assessment from Brazil Nut Consumption
Radiat. Prot. Dosim. 67(3), pp 229-230 (1996)
G. Hiromoto, J. Oliveira, J.S. Carvalho, R. Vicente and S.A. Bellintani

Commercial samples of Brazil nut were analysed to determine the natural radionuclide content and to assess the radiological risk resulting from its ingestion by members of the general public. Mean values of 1.4 ± 0.4 Bq.kg-1 for 238U, 26.3 ± 4.1 Bq.kg-1 for 226Ra, 4.7 ± 1.8 Bq.kg-1 for 210Pb, 16.5 ± 4.3 Bq.kg-1 for 232Th, 31.3 ± 6.4 Bq.kg-1 for 228Ra and 12.3 ± 5.1 Bq.kg-1 for 228Th were found in the samples analysed. Taking into account the annual production of Brazil nuts, the collective committed effective dose resulting from the ingestion of nuts corresponding to one year of production is estimated to be 8.6 x 102 man.Sv.  >>

Which is more than the operational doses from all the nuclear plant in the UK.

>> 5 - About your remark  "If you were to eat a bag of 100-200g of nuts per week" My personal problem is not the natural radioactivity in the Brazilian Nut, however the high calorie of this delicious nut. <<

Ain't that the truth.

George Sallit

These views are purely my own and do not represent those of my employer.