The Bomb That Fell--was Gofman

Dear RADSAFERS:

I have been found out. I suppose labeled now as an anti-nut. Could be, especially after spending some time interacting here at RADSAFE. I've received several rather nasty off post emails and frankly, I was shocked at some of the venom that they contained. On the other hand, I have received several letters of support and even offers of additional information and help. Thanks to those of you that have responded. One and all.

This is RADSAFE right?
I'm still a bit confused as to why members of a "professional" group would take such a hatchet job to me as a lay. Those of you that want, please dissect my every word here and respond to me off post with your point-for-point reasons why I should just dry up and blow away (just like piles of K-65 residue waste that was allowed to blow away here). It makes me wonder about the science of all this and who is motivated by what. Yep. I've been accused of having an agenda. Here's my agenda--To find out what happened around here during the MED and AEC days. To further find out what health costs were/are associated and IF there is anything that can be done to assess these possibilities. What's yours?

I was asked to supply a reference to the heart disease stats. I went to great lengths over the last several days to track it down and to get a comment and data from the source. I then placed it upon the board--but to no avail. Still critical and in my opinion without further discourse, unscientific. Exactly what the text books say. Never mind courtesy, decorum, discourse.

I was never a writer before the series that I coauthored and that was so pleasantly pointed out and URL supplied by Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director of Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee. (I don't understand "oversight committee" and then getting bashed--oh well) was good enough to run a search of my name. Ironically, when I run a search on some names also associated with this board, I find a whistle blower, several recipients of motor vehicle DWI, a cash lotto winner and some other fascinating info--but I won't go further into searches and what is available on many folks. I'm sure I'm on someones list right about now about my postings.

Suffice it to say, I came here for the professional advice someone mentioned in the last digest, that I should seek. I was accused of not being professional, scientific, etc. I am a lay person. Get it? I watched this board for two years before making a single post. I am a lay person who has taken it upon myself to study nuclear physics to better understand this subject. I have studied throughout many nights and when I thought I did not understand something, I sought out references such as Gofman and others. I do not proclaim to be an expert--never did. As an intelligent and thinking human being (I hope), I was trying to understand many things about my own backyard that interestingly enough, even this professional bulletin board has not been able to help with. To some of you, I thank from the bottom of my heart. To certain others, you can get off the bus at the next stop.

The data provided to this board about the cardiac situation here is from the researcher/epidemiologist. Since I was asked to offer a citation and not individual studies, I did what I was asked. Now, additional studies are being requested or I'm an ass. Sorry, I did what I could to offer my three cents and STILL I get bashed.

Anyone want to see the cancer stats for Niagara? If this is the example of the level of "safe" that is offered with rad materials and nuclear physics/human health around the nation and world, then I am worried. I'm not kidding. Coal was also great to bring out of the ground to heat our homes and melt our iron ore--unfortunately there were consequences with acid rain, etc. I don't want to go there either as it is not my interest. I will say many substances have many effects that will not be known for more years to come. Until an accounting is made of all rad material (never), legacy (never) and current (never), there will always (always) be doubt. I'm not afraid of radiation to a reasonable and rational degree. I went through the radiophobe period. That was until I got a survey meter and started to survey my area of this earth. That's when I started to write. If any one of you would take the time to read the series that was previously mentioned, and if anyone of you could or would take into consideration that I am a (studied) lay person and discount whatever % of what you think is inaccurate with the articles, I think you might see that there is still a problem with an area that has been described as the largest production center for U metal from 1942 through 1953 and with no cleanup afterward. But hey, what the heck do I know right? All contamination stopped globally after Love Canal. Did I say that Cesium137 was also found at LC along with the chemicals that Lois Gibbs was worried about? Didn't hear a lot about that, eh?

Thanks to you that have tried to downplay Niagara's role in the MED/AEC. Nice try--Now Go Back To Work At Y-12 or where ever. Start shredding docs too.

To those of you that these posts have interrupted genuine work, I am sorry. I never meant to interfere with this very important bulletin board or anyone's time or work. Please forgive this "ignorant" (yes, I was called that off post) fellow. I will take my study, interest and inquisitiveness elsewhere.

Just for the record, I spoke with John Gofman today and he is a wonderful listener and a very smart man. He is absolutely amazing for his age. He did not agree with all I said to him. On the other hand he gave me more info to work with and, believe it or not, inspiration to continue--Unlike here. Shame on those that have been critical of him regardless of his current position. I found it interesting that on this day, the 59th anniversary of Normandy, and with all the patriotic postings, that he is not recognized as a hero with his Pu work that changed the face of the world at the end of WWII. Shame and double shame. A bit hypocritical in my eyes with all the flag waving.

I'll say it--while I don't like it that we vaporized a couple hundred thousand people in an instant, for whatever part John Gofman played in ending the world conflict, on this day, Mr. Gofman sir, I thank and salute you for your life's work.

I may not have 30 letters after my name, but no one can tell me about my own backyard after a 20 year research career in industry and another three in the rad field/subject regarding the MED/AEC activities in the Niagara area. BTW--The last three of these years work have been paid for with vacation money and pop bottles (just kidding on the last), my kids college education fund, etc.. No patrons directing me. No hidden agenda. Yeah, I am one of those people who care about other people. So what?

One last note about a disconcerting and oxymoronic caption I saw on the last board, it was a story about Pu pits and the need for more and bigger facilities here to "keep up the stock." That's great, I'm neutral about this end of the cycle, however I did find it quite funny at the end of the message where it said "Have a Happy Friday."
Pu pits and a happy hour..LOL!
There's a cartoon in there somewhere.

Cheers all and I'll be paying closer attention to all I study.
Contact me off post if you want to discuss this seriously further.
Bashing welcomed, encouragement embraced.

Regards,
L.Ricciuti
Niagaranet@aol.com
"It takes all kinds." My mother