Re: NORM pipe scale removal

Hi Joel,
       I'm not sure how much help I can be with this as I am based in the UK.  I do know however that it is possible to clean radioactive scale from inside pipework.  It is undertaken in the Uk by two companies, one of whom is AEAT technology.  It can be done on the oil platform (if you are offshore) using equipment that is packaged in ISO containers, alternatively there is at least one, if not two land based sites in the UK.  These deal mainly with tubulars as these are cleaned and returned to the owner.  However they also deal with pipe sections, 'christmas trees' wire rope etc.  AEAT also has experience setting up and assisting the operation of a facility in Syria and also the cleaning of radioactive and chemical residues from the decommissioning of the Brent Spar platform after plans were abandoned to dispose of it into the deeper North Sea waters.  I'm not an agent, or employed by AEAT :-) but I have had involvement with one of their UK facilities for this work, and hence my knowledge of their activities.

I hope the above helps in some way.  BTW the primary means, in the UK, of removing radioactive scales is through high pressure water lancing, although other methods e.g. for pipework after it has been cut open, needle guns have been effective.

Regards,
       Julian