Amchitka Island Dose Reconstruction

June 10, 2003

Dear Radsafers:

Does anyone out there have data or know of a good website with dose

reconstruction information, or at least environmental data, for Kamchitka

Island?  I need information for April-August of 1967 and April through June

of 1988.

Amchitka Island was the site of three nuclear detonations conducted in

October 1965, October 1969, and November 1971.  Long Shot was a nuclear

detonation research experiment detonated at a depth of 700 meters.  It had

a yield of about 80 kilotons.  Milrow was a high-yield seismic calibration

test detonated at a depth of 1220 meters.  It had a yield of about one

megaton.  Cannikin, a test of a proposed warhead for the Spartan missile,

was detonated at a depth of about 1790 meters, with a yield of less than

five megatons.

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

Ciao, Carol

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.

<csmarcus@ucla.edu>