Re: Fw: Environmentalism & the US Constitution

As I see it, the NWPA served to validate this nonsense and give it respectability. Giving all the crazies a voice in decision process just about guarantees its failure. Perhaps it was done in good faith, but in retrospect, it was dumb.
I think the provisions of the 1982 NWPA: state oversight, state veto with Congressional override, EIS, standard set by EPA, licensing by NRC, etc., were done in good faith to give the states and tribes and EPA and NRC a voice in the decision that heretofore had been DOE's alone.  I certainly didn't foresee the NIMBY backlash, but again, that's not the law, but the use to which it was put.