OLD Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Study

Hi All,

I had a weird experience on Friday that I wanted to pass on.  Also, any information would be appreciated.  I am not trying to start a LNT debate thread, so let's not go there.  I had a Dr. appointment and arrived a bit early.  When I walked in, the first thing anyone would notice was an article posted on the wall.  It was from a Boston area paper and concerned a study done in the 70's on Portsmouth Naval shipyard workers.  The article said that the study showed that even the federal limit exposures of 1.25 Rem were too high and that workers should get far less.  Apparently the study looked at a fairly small population of workers and the incidence of certain kinds of cancers.  It turns out the study was done by this doctor I had an appointment with, Dr. Thomas Najarian.  Needless to say, the office visit was somewhat different, particularly since he knew what a health physicist was.  He wanted to know if I had known Karl Morgan and if I knew Dr. Sternglass.  He said he was no l!

onger concerned with this since workers were getting well less than 500 mrem a year now.  I talked to him briefly about the status of the science, but his answer was "well that is just what you've been taught".  I realized discussion was pointless and went back to the medical stuff that brought me to him.

So, a couple of questions to the group out there.  Does anyone have any details on this early Portsmouth Naval Shipyard study?  Does anyone have any information on Dr. Najarian's involvement with this study?  I did an internet search that took me to Ernest Sternglass's website, but that only led me to a footnote reference.  Otherwise, the internet didn't appear to turn up much information.

Thanks All,

Linda

Linda M. Sewell, CHP

Dosimetry Supervisor