RE: Scientific responsibility

On 19 Jun 2003 at 17:44, NIXON, Grant (Kanata) wrote:

> The question is what theory or working hypothesis should we use in its place?

There can not be an answer to this, since the current theory is based

on a negative approach, and one can't prove or disprove a negative,

or lack of evidence. However, I believe that it is reasonable to

evaluate all of the data that we already have regarding radiation

exposure and risk, illness and any detrimental effect one wishes to

assess.

Data exists for probably 1 million radiation workers, in the USA

alone. Throw in the rest of the world where there is credible data

and documentation, and I submit that there is enough data, and

evidentiary documentation, to prove whether or not there is a

deleterious effect from radiation at just above zero dose up to any

dose level that needs to be assessed. The kicker to all of this is

the fact that the potential for cancer is 1:3. One can always attempt

to demonstrate that the cancer is related due to occupational

radiation exposure. However, the 1:3 is also true for all non-

occupationally exposed individuals. There have been studies that

demonstrate that those workers exposed to radiation have a better

mortality than a similar group who are not exposed. However, the anti-

nuclear crowd always tries to answer those statistics with the

healthy worker effect. In my opinion, if the data demonstrates better

health, less illness, why can't that just be accepted?

Based on the data that is out there, and if this weren't simply a

political issue, and not a scientific issue, as I believe it should

be, the threshold for monitoring, for ALARA activities, for taking

all kinds of ridiculous actions, can be relieved, to some degree. DE

Minimis would have helped, BRC would have helped. Politics stopped

it.

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/