Re: Radon and Lung Cancer: What the studies really say.

Dr. Cohen, below you state that your smoking data does a good job of predicting

the county lung cancer rates.

We stated before -

the results of this analysis do not support your claim that your smoking data

accounts well for lung cancer rates in the counties.   We repeated the

regression of lung cancer mortality rates on these adjusted smoking

percentages.  The resulting R2 values indicate that S explains only 23.7% of

the variation in lung cancer mortality rates among females and 34.5% among

males.  The fit was not significantly improved when quadratic or cubic terms in

S were added to the model.  Puntoni et al. (1995) compared six mathematical

models relating cigarette smoking to lung cancer risk using data from nine

large cohort studies.  They found that 67% of the variation in relative risks

could be explained by a two-stage model of carcinogenesis.  In comparison, very

few of the lung cancer deaths are explained by Cohen’s smoking variable.

One might argue that consideration of socioeconomic variables, for example,

will help account for the rest of the variability in lung cancer rates.  To

investigate this possibility, the 54 SEV used by Cohen were added to the

regression of lung cancer on smoking.  The resulting R2 values were 37.0% for

females and 50.6% for males.  Likewise, this adjustment falls short of

predicting the lung cancer deaths.  It would appear that Cohen cannot offer a

better control for these risk factors with the available data.

	The poor predictive power of S is due, in part, to a failure to allow

for the effects of smoking intensity and duration.  To illustrate, consider two

populations – one relatively younger than the other – that have the same

percentage of smokers.  By modeling smoking as a dichotomous variable, one

would estimate the risk from smoking to be the same in the two populations.

This is counterintuitive since smokers in the older population are likely to

have smoked for a greater length of time.  A variable such as pack-years would

allow one to include effects of smoking duration.  Cohen’s failure to

incorporate intensity and duration in his analysis naturally leads to a smoking

variable which accounts for fewer lung cancer deaths.

Puskin's finding further supports that you smoking rates do a poor job of

predicting lung cancers in counties since your inverse assocaition was found

for other smoking related cancers which are not related to radon exposure.