RE: LNT and resources [Was: Scientific responsibility]

Hi John,

Why the repeated issue raised with the dose rate specified? It is a very

simply matter to arrive at a 3 mR/h figure for a glove box. Consider the

dose rate for steady operational conditions, say 2000 hrs/yr. Use a 5 rem/yr

limit and, voila, 2.5 mR/h is the limiting field. Say your head is located 6

inches from the outside of the glove box. Hence, you need to reduce the

field to below ~3 mR/h at 6 inches from the surface of the glove box. ALARA

would require an attempt to reduce this figure even further, but let's keep

it simple.

We have 4 cyclotrons (3 in Vancouver and 1 in Fleurus), not to mention 2

dedicated medical isotope reactors (MAPLE I and II at Chalk River for, among

other things, supplying ~80% of the world's need for Mo-99 and we are

currently using AECL's NRU reactor). We also make use of CANDU reactors for

Co-60 production. We also produce several exotic isotopes (e.g., we are

probably the sole supplier of I-123). Is any of this relevant to the

question at hand?

Not all things get automated until the technology is proven and the market

is established or proven to be receptive. When predominantly weak gamma

emitters have low-intensity but pesky high-energy components, these cannot

easily be piggy-backed onto existing glove-box technologies applicable to

other, similar isotopes devoid of these high-energy components, and the

costs associated with experiment or production then run-up. This is because

of, rightly or wrongly, the LNT theory, ALARA, and the person-rem

"accounting practices" that has been entrenched in legislation. So, yes,

there are prices to pay for unproven theories that have been entrenched into

legislation. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that this legislated

dogma may possibly be doing the public a huge disservice. That was the only

point I wished to make.

If you wish to follow-up with more discussion, perhaps we should do it

offline, I worry that we may bore more people into abandoning the list.

Best regards,

Grant Nixon, B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (a.k.a. irrelevant "alphabet soup")

Radiation Physicist