RE: LNT and resources [Was: Scientific responsibility]

I am not aware of the limits you mentioned.  We have

several cyclotrons and produce routine PET imaging and

some "exotic" radionuclides for biomedical research.

Most of our operations are automated.  From a

production standpoint I assume many of yours are.

Again, I have never heard of medical research being

stopped because of safety/radiation cost.  Can you

provide an example?  Off-line if you wish.  I am

certainly interested.

I do agree that in your case, and ours, costs are

important.  In any regard, it is a case of capital

investments.  I think you would agree that the cost of

investments are different for production and research

operations.

--- "NIXON, Grant (Kanata)" <GNIXON@MDS.Nordion.com>

wrote:

> My example is rather plain and the exposure rate

> limit and distance is the

> standard we must meet for a glove box. My company

> produces most of the

> world's demand for radioisotopes for nuclear

> medicine. Enough said.

> You say that you have not "heard" of experiences

> such as these. All I can

> say is that it can happen, it does happen, and I

> have seen it happen. You

> simply were not privy to such experiences. What of

> it?

> Note that regulatory limits apply to all aspects of

> the production and the

> accrued costs are anything but "chump change". The

> result is that some

> radioisotope technologies that may be better-suited

> for the task at hand

> cannot be brought to market.

> We should try to stick to the facts at hand and not

> base counter-arguments

> on the lack of personal experience. Others are bound

> to have experiences

> beyond your own. One should simply do the

> (tangible/concrete) math for

> themselves.

> . . .

=====