Re: Cohen's Observation

	Let me explain again why I need concrete hypothetical examples of

what can be wrong with my treatments. My papers contain many examples of

what could possibly explain my results. For example, according to Table 2

of Item #7 on my web site, the existence of an unrecognized confounding

factor which has a correlation of 0.75 with both radon levels and lung

cancer rates, would do the job. But in the accompanying discussion, I show

that such high correlations are extremely implausible. Plausibility of

correlations is a very important aspect of my reasoning.

	It is impossible to address the issue of plausibility without a

concrete example. That is why I need a concrete example. It can be made

up (i.e. hypothetical), and there is no need to show that it is valid. It

is then up to me to evaluate its plausibility, and it is that evaluation

that I would like to see judged by an arbitrator.

	It is this need for a concrete hypothetical example that prompted

me to offer an award for one that I could not show to be implausible in

the judgment of an impartial arbitrator. For an arbitrator on my

procedures, without a concrete hypothetical example, I would require a

theoretical physicist; but for an arbitrator over a concrete example, I

would accept any scientist willing to engage in a few back-and-forth

exchanges with me.

Bernard L. Cohen

Physics Dept.

University of Pittsburgh