RE: Radon and Lung Cancer: What the studies really say.

Ted,

I have said many times that my argument with Dr. Cohen's work has little to do

with the LNT, but rather more with the limitations of ecologic studies.

Let me say it one more time, I think an ecologic study is a very blunt

instrument for testing the validity of the LNT.

Further, I myself question the validity of the LNT for non high LET radiation.

I get several calls each week from people all over the United States that have

said they have high radon levels in their home and are concerned, but they

have read that Dr. Cohen has shown that radon is good for you and don't know

whether to test or not.  Recently, a person with 60 pCi/L of radon in their

bedroom said that her husband would not agree to mitigate their home because

of Dr. Cohen's statement they sent me (below).

-------------------------------

I am sure Dr. Cohen will say yet again he was misquoted.

Cohen states that -

"there is a better than even chance that radon is good for you." Cohen offers

that his expertise is in epidemiology, not medicine, and that his statistics

and data point to evidence that low levels of radiation are not bad for you.

----------------------

She said she got this quote from a radon health mine (site) her husbands wants

to go to.  Many others have told me that they have not tested or mitigated

because of Dr. Cohen's work and the active promotion of Dr. Cohen's work by a

group that Dr. Cohen is a charter member of that supports the use of

therapeutic radon exposure and even has meetings at radon health spas.

http://cnts.wpi.edu/RSH/Docs/NYrRadonCure.pdf

http://cnts.wpi.edu/RSH/Docs/Radon/RnTherapiesIndex.htm

If you look at the list of people that are most vocally supportive of Dr.

Cohen's work on this list (other then Kai), it is a small but orchestrated

group such as yourself, Jerry Cohen, Fritz Seiler, Jim Muckerheide, and others

that are reportedly organized to address the "fact" that public funds are

wasted to support radiation protection policy and to support application of

hormesis effects of low dose radiation.

I do not have an interest in the politics, I report the data as I see it.  I

have published papers on both side of the issues including papers reporting

that there was likely no wide spread contamination of Cesium-137 after TMI as

well as "publishing" ecologic studies myself that suggests radon exposure does

not cause breast cancer. Note, I always include limitations of ecologic study.

I must be doing something right to be both criticized and praised by Milloy.

http://www.junkscience.com/news/radon-breast-cancer2.html

Radon is a serious environmental health concern and over half the average

individual's effective radiation dose equivalent comes from residential radon

progeny exposure.

While I didn't feel this way ten years ago, as a Public Health Scientist, I

now think it is prudent, based on what we know from the miner and residential

radon studies along with recent studies of bystander effects that show an

initial rapid dose response after irradiation, to minimize NEEDLESS radiation

(including radon exposure).  Dr. Cohen's assertion that he is merely testing

the LNT and not assessing the risk posed by radon is not being bought by the

general public or even for that matter trained scientist. Dr. Cohen tries to

use the LNT to try to get around the limitations of the ecologic studies, most

scientists do not buy that the inherent limitations go away just because you

say you are testing the LNT.

 Bill:

 Why do you feel it is so important to defend the scientific validity of the

 LNT at low levels when even NCRP, ICRP et al. conceded years ago that there

 is no scientific evidence to "prove, or even support the concept" and that

 most populations exposure to LDR "do not show deleterious effects and most

 populations show beneficial effects"?  They recommend its use anyway solely

 on the basis of "prudence."  Numerous msgs on this list have recently

 changed the premise that such usage is prudent.

 Ted Rockwell