Linearity of covariates and radon exposure - response to Mr. Sonter

Dr. Howard, thanks for responding perhaps more clearly then I could regarding

Mr. Sonter's comment.

Mark,

I placed a copy of Dr. Lubin's paper in the mail.  Please email me directly if

anyone else would be interested in a copy of the paper. Also, if anyone has

comments, please email directly so we can take the discussion off list.

I have also attached a copy of the Darby and Doll letter (from Journal of

Radiologic Protection) below, perhaps they can present the points I attempted

to make a bit clearer and from a different perspective.

Regards, Bill Field

epirad@mchsi.com

"Explaining the lung cancer versus radon exposure data for USA counties"

Dear Sir

Professor Cohen states in his letter that his analysis ‘encompasses all of the

Doll suggestions’. It is, however, logically impossible for it to have done so

using data at the level of counties. This is because the effect of cigarette

smoking on the relationship between residential radon and individual lung

cancer risk will be determined by the relationship between smoking status and

lung cancer among the individuals within each county. Unless smoking is

irrelevant to lung cancer risk (which we know to be untrue) or smoking status

and residential radon are uncorrelated within each county (which seems

unlikely), the relationship between residential radon and lung cancer at the

county level will differ from that at the level of the individual in a way

that cannot be overcome by including corrections for smoking habits at the

county level, even if these corrections correctly represent the smoking habits

of the individuals within each county. The difference in the relationship

between a risk factor and a disease rate at the level of the individual and at

an area level is the ecologic fallacy and is described in detail by Greenland

and Robins (1994) and Morgenstern (1998). Lubin (1998) has also demonstrated

that biases caused by the ecologic fallacy can be of any magnitude from minus

infinity to plus infinity. In two recent studies (Lagarde and Pershagen 1999,

Darby et al 2000), parallel individual and ecological analyses have been

carried out of identical data from case-control studies of residential radon

(Peshagen et al 1994, Darby et al 1998). These analyses have shown that, in

addition to any bias caused by the ecological fallacy, ecological studies of

residential radon and lung cancer are also prone to biases caused by

determinants of lung cancer risk that vary at the level of the ecological unit

concerned. In these two examples, the additional variables were latitude and

urban/rural status respectively. The explanation of these variables is not yet

well understood and they may well be, in part, surrogate measures for some

aspects of the subjects’ smoking history not accounted for by the measures of

smoking status that have been derived from the individual questionnaire data

and used in the analysis of the data for individuals. They had only a minor

effect on analysis at this level but a substantial effect on the ecological

analyses. The presence of these variables is further evidence of the pitfalls

of ecological studies.

Yours faithfully,

Sarah Darby and Sir Richard Doll

Clinical Trial Service Unit, University of Oxford, Nuffield Department of

Clinical Medicine,

Harkness Building, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford OX2 6HE, UK