Re: lung cancers, primary vs secondary - response to Maury

Maury,

I am somewhat hesitant to respond to your question.  Weren't you critical of

me posting just a few days ago?

There are numerous ways to establish the reliability of primary lung cancer dx

other than an autopsy, but in response to your question some hospitals such as

Stanford performed them for years at no costs, while private firms may cost as

much as $5,000 depending on whether or not specific tox screens are requested.

Perhaps this Medscape article may be of help.

---------------------------

Letter

Institutional and Economic Influences on Autopsy Performance - In Reply

July 7, 2000

from Medscape General Medicine [TM]

Elizabeth C. Burton, MD

Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center

New Orleans, Louisiana

Peter N. Nemetz, PhD

University of British Columbia

Vancouver, BC, Canada

We agree that there is definite value in collecting autopsy data and recognize

the need for a centralized autopsy data repository for the public good. We are

alarmed by a national autopsy rate of 9.4% and the fact that hospital autopsy

rates have fallen to below 6% and continue to decline. Morris's letter

highlights several interesting and complicated issues regarding autopsies,

including the fact that autopsies are not discussed or offered as a service to

the decedent's family by many healthcare professionals and the issue of who

will pay for autopsies.

Many healthcare professionals believe that the public's attitudes toward

autopsies are generally negative; however, several studies have shown this not

to be true.[1-3] This false perception may more accurately reflect the

attitudes of healthcare professionals toward autopsies. In a recent secondary

data analysis from a multi-institutional study conducted 10 years ago, one of

us found that when family members or surrogates of terminally ill patients

were asked specific questions about autopsies prior to the patient's death,

68% said that they had no personal objections to autopsies. Fifty-six percent

of surrogates stated a willingness to permit an autopsy in the event of the

patient's death if requested by the physician (unpublished data). In fact,

this analysis also revealed that at the time of death, autopsy consent was not

requested in almost half of all cases, a number similar to that found by

McPhee and colleagues in a previous 1986 study.[1] The decline in autopsy

rates can be partially attributed to the fact that autopsy permission is often

not sought by healthcare professionals, a phenomenon that is likely to

continue as medical care continues to shift from acute inpatient hospitals to

long-term care facilities (ie, nursing homes and hospices).

Central to the problem of declining autopsy rates is the issue of cost and

payment for autopsies. Autopsy cost estimates range from approximately $500-

$3500, dependent on whether a complete or partial (restricted) autopsy is

performed, and it appears that hardly anyone is interested in paying for them.

In 1983, Carolyne Davis of the Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA)

stated that "Autopsies as a specific service are not covered under Medicare,

although Medicare does recognize hospital overhead costs related to autopsies,

including space, equipment, and personnel as well as physician services under

Part A as administrative and quality control activities. These costs will be

included in the hospital's base under prospective payment."[4] In a 1995

statement by Charles Booth from the HCFA's Office of Hospital Policy, he

claimed that although payment is through the hospital, HCFA does pay for

autopsies, but this payment is based on whether autopsies were performed

within a particular hospital in 1981.[5] In 1995, Trelstad and colleagues

surveyed the Medical Directors of 12 insurance or healthcare plans about their

policies concerning autopsies. Of the 5 organizations that responded, 4 had no

policy for autopsy claims coverage and 1 organization stated that "coverage of

autopsies are [sic] included in all of our hospital contracts."[6]

In an effort to verify and update this information, we attempted to contact

HCFA's Administrator and the chief executive officers, the chief operations

officers, or the medical directors of 15 of the largest United States

healthcare insurers about specific policy coverage for autopsies (Table). We

received no response from HCFA. Prior to June 30, 2000, 6 of the 15 healthcare

insurers responded to our questions as follows:

Does your organization pay claims for autopsies? If yes, how are the claims

paid, what is the maximum dollar amount allowable, and to whom are the claims

paid? All 6 responded with "No."

Does your organization have an official policy concerning autopsies? If yes,

describe or attach a copy of the policy.

Three responded with "No." Two responded with "Yes." One did not give a

description of their policy, and 1 stated that "autopsies are not a covered

benefit according to EOCs." One did not respond to this question.

Does your organization contract with a managed care organization? If yes, is

there a stated policy with the managed care organization that includes

specific language about performing autopsies?

One responded with "No" and stated that they are a managed care organization.

Three responded with "Yes," that they do contract with a managed care

organization but do not have a stated policy with that organization about

autopsies. Two did not respond to this question.

Additional comments:

Autopsies are not health benefits and are not medically necessary to the

insured who has expired.

Although we have no specific autopsy policy, we also do not have a policy that

specifically excludes autopsies.

Health insurance benefits cease upon the death of the insured.

This procedure is considered to be included in the hospital's charges for care

provided to the patient when alive.

Professional charges for performing autopsies are also not covered.

Although the general consensus is that autopsy coverage does not occur by most

healthcare insurers, it appears that HCFA does cover autopsy costs as part of

Medicare Part A.[4] This payment is built into the diagnosis-related groups

system for autopsies performed on inpatient deaths as part of the hospital's

operating expenses. However, because this coverage is nonspecific, there is no

guarantee that this money is actually used to cover the cost of autopsies. As

a result, some hospitals do not offer autopsies as a medical service, and

those that do provide this service may bill the decedent's family directly on

a fee-for-service basis.

It is not surprising that when families are not informed about autopsies as an

option, when they are told that autopsies are not possible, or they are told

that they will have to pay for the autopsy, feelings of mistrust may occur. In

some cases, an autopsy may be sought outside of the hospital. But in most

cases, the autopsy will not be done and many questions remain unanswered. When

a death occurs, it is usually an emotional time for families. Autopsies can

provide answers about the cause of death, information about heritable

diseases, and confirmation of the appropriateness of medical care, which can

help families through the bereavement process and provide closure. In

addition, as we have stressed in our original article, autopsies provide an

extraordinary opportunity to help address the issue of quality and cost of

care, which loom so large in current medical practice and health policy. It

would be a shame if this opportunity were to be forgone because of ignorance,

apathy, or government accounting practices that do not tie autopsy

reimbursement directly to the delivery of this service.

Medscape General Medicine 2(3), 2000. © 2000 Medscape Portals, Inc

 Dr. Field, do you happen to have any approximation of the cost to have an