Re: Radon, smoking and LNT

I have found that, most of the time, ALARA IS "Good Industrial Management and

Operations".  Even at the design stage, most ALARA good practices don't cost

much extra, e.g., making sure that valves are not installed upside down (They

become crud traps when this occurs.), routing piping that will carry hi dose

fluids to avoid occupied areas, etc.

Another side benefit of a good ALARA program is employee morale.  Employees care

about their dose levels and appreciate when management actively promotes good

ALARA practices.  I'd hate to have to say, "We don't care whether you get 5

rems, Cohen et. al showed there's nothing to worry about."  It would be even

worse if we let people get body burdens or go home to their families

contaminated.

Radworkers want a workplace which minimizes dose and prevents personal

contamination and uptake.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton