RE: Earth heat production and radioisotopes, etc.

Title: RE: Earth heat production and radioisotopes, etc.

JPreisig@AOL.COM wrote :

.....as for having an experimental probe go into the Earth, it may get to a fair depth, but
      I believe any measurement electronics will fail miserably once the
      temperature and pressure get high enough.

If anyone's interested, I recently obtained a copy of the paper by W. Mansfield Adams, "A Thermal Tool for Direct Investigation of the Interior of the Earth", PURE AND APPLIED GEOPHYSICS, Vol. 61, pages 113-122 (1965).

The references include UCRL report no. 6306, "A Direct Method for Investigating the Interior of the Earth," (1961, Lawrence Radiation Lab, Livermore, CA) and US Patent no. 3115194.

It proposes a nuclear experimental probe go into the Earth, to a depth of some 40,000 feet - the bottom of a large salt diapir.

I scanned it into a 1015 KB pdf file and will send it to anyone who requests it.
If anyone has a copy of UCRL 6306, I would appreciate reading that too.

Jaro.