Re: No Cancer Link to Wires

>>	"What I find quite amazing is that some of the women were so disappointed

that this study disproved the hypothesis that household electromagnetic

fields cause cancer.  What a relief it should be that this is not a risk

for billions of people worldwide."

----

>	My guess is that the disappointment stems from three things.  (Pardon my

cynicism.)  First, there is no scapegoat or convenient villain.  Second,

the 'electromagnetism causes cancer' believers cannot obtain vast amounts

of tax dollars to finance screening and testing programs.

"Believers" is a key word. Who would try to persuade some extreme sect about

the evolutionary theory? It is the same kind of problem. These people "know"

the causes and explanations and they usually don't care even if their

predictions are wrong. They don't want to be bothered about speciation, DNA

sequences, comparative anatomy (monkeys!) etc.

I have observed for decades now that certain groups fighting "radiation"

seem to _want_ certain risks/potential risks to be there. This is perhaps

particularly true for "EMF" (why define it?...). They are never satisfied

with answers like "this risk is trivial" or "probably non-existant".

With the "believers approach" the irrational becomes completely logical.

Try asking this disappointed woman (I tried to find her email address

without success) to explain why she is disappointed about something probably

not being worth worrying about.

My personal ideas only,

Bjorn Cedervall     bcradsafers@hotmail.com

http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/