Re: Linearity of covariates and radon exposure

Cohen wrote earlier today:  "I do not assume linearity of lung cancer risk with

smoking. I use the BEIR treatments. Note that the BEIR Committees include

epidemiologists."

I sincerely do not see how the above statement can be justified.

You may not assume that, but that is how you treat it.

In your analyses:

- Baseline lung cancer mortality is solely a function of age and smoking

- You assume all smokers have the same increased risk of mortality

- You assume smoking duration and intensity is the same for everyone

- You assume age is the only modifying effect of radon exposure

and so on ,,,,

In one response in the journal in the past you responded to us that you crudely

tried to introduce the pack-years concept.  For control of ecologic confounding

you need more than crude attempts.

Unlike the Cohen derived LNT model, the BEIR model is quite general and allows

for any degree of control for smoking.  The use of pack-years or pack-year rate

would result in a much better approximation of smoking exposure then the

dichotomous model used by Cohen.  The BEIR model could even include nonlinear

effects of smoking unlike Cohen's model.

Bill Field