Re: Indian Point portrayed as WMD

In a message dated 7/9/2003 11:09:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,

frantaj@AECL.CA writes:

> Riverkeeper compares Indian Point

> to WMDs as ad campaign hook

It is this type of campaign that needs to be addressed on many fronts, not

least of all by the NY Department of Health, in my opinion (though I have

already seen that California's wouldn't dare take up even much milder attacks).

While our system is set up such that this type of speech is supposed to be

effectively countered by the industry under attack, the industry itself has been

demonized, thus has little credibility to counter the attack, and the effects

of this speech reach much farther and wider than simply the economic impact

to the industry.

The effects are indeed public health effects  - increased (and unnecessary

stress), potentially dangerous panic if even a minor event occurs at the plant,

and a never-ending reverberation of effects from the hysteric fear of

radiation engendered by reports such as these (including precious resources diverted

from real health hazards, and a public fear of diagnostic techniques using

radiation).

Barbara L. Hamrick