Re: Laymans questions on hormesis and LNT

John Jacobus <crispy_bird@YAHOO.COM> wrote"

"We really need to separate the cellular biology from

the population studies.  The latter should determine

the regulations, not the former."

But in the field of hazardous materials, aren't the regulations based on

extrapolations from high dose lab results with no corresponding

epidemiological studies?  I may be way off base, but I thought that's the

method the EPA uses to set environmental standards for chemicals - Ames

tests extrapolated to "1 in a million" cancer risk.

Eric M. Goldin, CHP

<goldinem@songs.sce.com>