Re:  Hanford Site Cleanup Standards

At 11:17 AM 9/2/2003 -0400, William V Lipton wrote:

>...........One area where standards are being applied retrospectively, big

>time is asbestos.  This was the miracle fiber, in the 1950's. I believe

>that some construction codes actually required the use of asbestos as a

>fire retardant.  Now, companies are being forced into bankruptcy by health

>claims, or being forced to spend big $$ on remediation.  I'm not saying

>that I approve, just that the way society treats radioactive material is

>not unique.  (It's worthwhile noting

>that the asbestos situation was probably exacerbated by the initial denial

>of responsibility by many corporations.  There's an interesting series of

>articles on this in "The New Yorker," ca. 1971-1972, written by Bill

>Johnson, a classmate.)

No doubt that there was (in some applications) a real hazard created by

asbestos. also quite probably the situation was exacerbated by corporate

denial.

However, IMHO, much of the "damage" has been created by bottom-feeding

lawyers and political/public activism.....

And the true hazard often increased by the enforced "remediation" activities...

A rant, maybe. But a sad state of affairs......

Regards

Doug Aitken		Schlumberger Drilling and Measurements QHSE

Advisor

Phone (Sugarland):   	281 285-8009

Phone (Home office): 	713 797-0919

Phone (Cell): 		713 562-8585

Principal E-mail: jdaitken@earthlink.net

Schlumberger E-mail: daitken@sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com

Mail: 	300 Schlumberger Drive MD2, Room 111

	Sugar Land, TX 77478