Re:  Hanford Site Cleanup Standards

This and related lines of discourse that are most offensive to me is the suggestion or implication that what was done decades ago, e.g., 1940-1960, needs or is even susceptible to "justification". I believe justification is completely irrelevant in the context of this discussion. There is a vast difference between the meaning and the tone of "justification" vs. "understanding". It seems to me that there is no justification taking place in these explanations because justification is neither needed nor appropriate. Understanding,  knowledge, and appropriate actions are in order. As Ruth and others have shown so well, there remain major, honest agreement problems relating to "appropriate actions". Body counts, for example, are not simply meaningless justifications -- a body

count is just one of many meaningful comparisons to help place events in perspective.

I believe that this and similar discussions would benefit by omitting the emotional overtones implied by concepts such as justification, guilt, and so on. Understanding how events evolved is important and constructive; justifications, repercussions, punishment, and guilt are usually trivial and almost always destructive.

Cheers,

Maury Siskel                maury@webtexas.com

_________

PP=PPP

--

It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves under the flag,

and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to

burn the flag.                                  Charles M. Province